Originally deeded by the City of Frederick as lots 4 & 5 of Maple Park
With over 150 years of history, it’s difficult to define all the attributes and moments that define 1201 North Market Street. Our guests ask us all the time, “how old is the building?”, “did anyone of note live here?”, “was it ever changed?” We wanted to take this opportunity to share our home with you.
Below you will a timeline about how the building operated before it became New York, New York and the incredible story of how Mary Louise came to find, purchase, and renovate this historic property. Every property has a story and this is ours:
June 24, 1850 – Lots 4 & 5 of Maple Park are deeded to William J Ross
1873 – 1883 – George L Creamer purchases the land and builds a farmhouse on the property. The original farmhouse still stands with the frame now completely encapsulated by the additions.
1918 – 1925 – Noted Frederick County developer Jessie Smith purchases the property as an investment property and renovates the building to add the front formal rooms and facade complete with pillars.
1921 – 1925 – The first known photograph of the building is taken. The original photo currently hangs in the foyer. *This date range was provided by the historic preservationist at Frederick County Public Libraries.
1928 – Noted business owner, Ellsworth Valentine purchases the property and lavishly decorates the building turning it into one of the popular socially elite homes in Frederick County.
1948 – After divorcing his second wife, Ellsworth Valentine files for bankruptcy. The property and all of its assets are acquired by the bank and planned for auction.
1949 – 1950 – The bank holds public auctions of the Valentine Estate.
December 16, 1950 – The bank auctions 1201 N Market Street and is purchased by Robert E. Dailey.
1951 – Robert E. Dailey opens the Robert E. Dailey funeral home (later named Robert E. Dailey and Sons). His family move into the second floor while operating the business on the first floor and basement.
1950 – 1970 – Two additions are added to the property; the library on the left side and the viewing room on the right side of the building.
2012 – The Stauffer family purchases 1201 N Market Street and another property in Thurmont from the Dailey family which ends operations.
October 13, 2014 – Mary Louise Riser, as owner of New York, New York extends an offer to purchase 1201 N Market Street.
March 19, 2015 – After being told that New York, New York could not purchase the property because of zoning restrictions, the team overcomes a major hurdle by rewriting the Land Management Code and getting it approved by the Board of Aldermen.
April 28, 2015 – After significant review and testimony, the Board of Aldermen approves the purchase of 1201 N. Market Street.
November 24, 2015 – After months of planning and selecting a contractor, Mary Louise and the Stauffer’s sign off on the purchase of 1201 N Market Street to be the future home of New York, New York.
January 4, 2016 – Callas Contractors break ground on the renovation.
October 10, 2016 – After significant upgrades to the property facilities and fully retrofitted to create a hair salon and day spa, New York, New York receives its certificate of occupancy from The City of Frederick.
October 15, 2016 – New York, New York operates its last day at 808 Toll House Avenue. The staff and contractors immediately begin moving furniture after the business closes.
October 18, 2016 – New York, New York opens its doors at 1201 N Market Street in a grand reception at 10:00 a.m. and services its first guests in its new location at noon.
At the opening ceremony Mary Louise receives special recognition for her adaptive reuse from the City of Frederick, the Frederick County Executive, Frederick County Council, State Department of Economic Development, the House of Delegates, and State Senate.